Whether you’re a seasoned nail enthusiast or a casual polish wearer, you might have come across the dilemma about the proper sequence of applying nail hardener and polish. With so many conflicting opinions out there, it’s no wonder you’re seeking clarity on this age-old question:
“Do you put nail hardener on before or after polish?” Both processes can be done, but it is generally recommended to apply nail hardener before applying nail polish.
Keep reading to discover the best approach to using nail hardener and polish to achieve beautiful, resilient nails.
What Does Hardener Do for Nails?
Nail hardener is a cosmetic product applied to nails to strengthen and protect them, reducing breakage and promoting healthier, stronger nails. The main purpose of a nail hardener is to improve the overall health and resilience of the nails.
Here are some others common benefits and functions of nail hardeners:
- Hardener strengthens the nails.
- It forms a protective layer over the nails.
- It prevents the nails from breaking or splitting.
- It promotes nail growth by providing support and structure.
- It enhances the overall appearance of the nails.
- It helps to prevent nail polish from chipping.
- It adds thickness to thin or weak nails.
- It can provide a protective barrier against environmental factors, such as water, detergents, and chemicals.
- It improves nail durability and resistance to everyday wear and tear.
- It can help individuals with brittle or soft nails achieve stronger and healthier nails.
Do You Put Nail Hardener on Before or After Polish?
Applying nail hardener before and after nail polish can have different outcomes and effects on the overall durability and appearance of your nails. Let’s discuss each scenario separately.
If you apply nail hardener before nail polish, it can help strengthen your nails and provide a solid base for the polish to adhere to. Nail hardeners typically contain ingredients that promote nail growth and prevent breakage, such as protein and calcium. By applying it before polish, you create a protective layer that can help minimize chipping and extend the wear of your manicure. The nail hardener acts as a barrier between your nails and the polish, reducing the risk of staining and allowing the polish to adhere better. This can result in a smoother and longer-lasting nail polish application.
On the other hand, applying nail hardener after nail polish can serve as an additional layer of protection and durability. Once your polish is dry, you can apply a layer of nail hardener over it. This can help seal the polish, providing an extra shield against chipping and peeling. The nail hardener acts as a topcoat, adding strength and resilience to your manicure. It can also enhance the shine and glossiness of the polish, giving it a more polished and professional finish.
Ultimately, whether you choose to apply nail hardener before or after polish depends on your personal preference and the specific needs of your nails. Some people prefer applying it before polish to strengthen the nails from the base, while others find it more effective as a topcoat to protect the polish. Experimenting with both methods can help you determine which approach yields the best results for your nails. Additionally, it’s important to follow the instructions provided by the specific nail hardener product you are using, as some may have specific recommendations regarding the application.
How Do You Apply Nail Hardener?
When it comes to applying nail hardener, the general recommendation is to apply it before applying nail polish. However, it’s important to note that there are different types of nail hardeners available, and the instructions provided by the manufacturer should always be followed for the best results. Let’s discuss applying nail hardener before and after nail polish separately.
Applying Nail Hardener Before Polish:
- Start with clean, dry nails. Remove any existing nail polish using a gentle nail polish remover.
- Gently buff the surface of your nails to remove any ridges or roughness. This will help the nail hardener adhere better.
- Selecta nail hardener that suits your needs and preferences
- Apply a thin coat of the nail hardener to each nail, starting from the base and moving towards the tip. Be sure to cover the entire surface of the nail.
- Allow the nail hardener to dry completely before applying any additional products or nail polish. This usually takes a few minutes.
- If desired, you can apply a second thin coat of the nail hardener for added strength and protection.
- Let the second coat dry completely before proceeding with your regular nail polish application.
Applying Nail Hardener After Polish:
- Begin by applying your desired nail polish color and allow it to dry completely.
- Once the nail polish has dried, apply a thin coat of nail hardener over the polished nails.
- Make sure to cover the entire surface of each nail with the nail hardener.
- Allow the nail hardener to dry completely before applying any additional coats or topcoat.
- If needed, you can apply a second thin coat of the nail hardener for extra durability.
- Let the second coat of nail hardener dry completely before continuing with your regular nail care routine.
When Can Nail Hardener Be Applied?
Nail hardener can typically be applied once a week.
It is advisable to follow the instructions provided by the specific nail hardener product you are using, as application frequency can vary.
Generally, applying nail hardener too frequently may lead to excessive drying and potential damage to the nails. Allow your nails to rest and breathe in between applications.
It can be applied to the nails at any time, but it is generally recommended to apply it when your nails are clean and dry.
Is Nail Hardener a Base Coat?
Yes, nail hardener can function as a base coat in certain cases.
Some nail hardeners have a clear or slightly opaque appearance and can be used as a base coat before applying nail polish. They create a smooth surface for nail polish application and help extend the wear of the polish.
Remember not all nail hardeners can be used as a base coat, as some may not have the necessary properties for polish adhesion or may have a yellow tint that could affect the appearance of colored polishes.
Always check the specific product instructions or consult a nail professional for guidance on using a nail hardener as a base coat.
Can I Use Nail Hardener as a Top Coat?
Yes, you can use nail hardener as a top coat.
Top coats are used to provide a glossy finish and enhance the longevity of nail polish. While nail hardeners may not provide the same level of shine as traditional top coats, they can still offer some protection and help extend the wear of your manicure.
However, it’s important to read the instructions and make sure the nail hardener you’re using is suitable for use as a top coat.
“Do you put nail hardener on before or after polish,” it is time to reach a final verdict. While there are different opinions and practices among individuals, the general consensus among experts and professionals suggests that applying nail hardener before the polish is the recommended approach.
Remember to consider individual product instructions and adapt your routine accordingly. With this approach, you can enjoy beautiful and healthy nails that withstand the test of time.